Monday, October 25, 2010

Moments

Being a mom/parent is really hard work and sometimes (today) I wonder why anybody would want to be a parent. A few weeks ago I watched a really horrible movie (so bad I won't admit to it), however, there was one really great part in it about being a parent. So the main guy just found out that his girlfriend was prego, he need to get away from it all and ended up at the playground(stupid place to go, I think). It was there that he met another dad and asked him what was so great about being a dad. He said, "Being a parent is like this, its bad, bad, bad, bad, bad and then there is one small moment when it is so wonderful, then it is bad again, bad, bad, bad, bad, then a small great, then bad......etc". How true is that!! The moments when my kids tell me that I made the best dinner that they have ever had in there WHOLE LIFE, or when they say a pray and thank Heavenly Father for their mommy, or when they take your face in their hands and with complete seriousness say " mommy I really like you!", or when they pick a weed and give it to you because mommies like flowers! Those moments make up for everything else, like when you have to put them in time out at 645am because they punched their brother in the face, or when you spend all week washing sheets because they have all been thrown up on at least twice. So those moments are really important. Now I was watching another show (it is no wonder my house is so messy-I should stop watching movies, huh?) about a mom who worked while the dad stayed home. They have one kid, who had a night mare and wanted to sleep in the parents bed. This, of course, turns out to be more then a one time thing. When the parents finally talk about how the dad doesn't like the kid sleeping the bed but the mom does...He says at night is the only time that I get to stop being a parent and just be me. The wife says, I work all day, I miss so much, at night with her in our bed is really the only time I get to be a parent. This of course made me think of all of those mom who work. They are missing all of those special moments that make being a parent worth it. They maybe getting they washing sheets part but not picking weed part. I am so thankful that I get to be a stay-home-and-enjoy-the-moments parent. I mean really how much longer am I going to make the best dinner they have ever had in their WHOLE LIFE!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

This is a lovely post. I like it a lot. Especially since we had one of those days here. But she cuddled with me when I was putting her to bed. Big good.

Melissa S. said...

Wow, you get thanked for in the prayers?!?!? Emerson just prayed in the dinner prayer that Mommy can be nice. (Background: I've become a dinner table manners NAZI lately....and not in the nice way) :)
Great post. True. There's something to be said for knowing you're doing EXACTLY what Heavenly Father wants you to do and knowing you're in the RIGHT place.........that feeling gets me through a lot of the "bad".

Jamie said...

Gracie went on time out after being awake for less than half an hour. :/ But you're right. Those chubby hands cupping your cheeks are the best thing EVER.

kate said...

Hey Rachel,
It gets better and then when they complain they don't like dinner....I tell them it's their turn to cook and you know what....Nick is great at grilling fish and steak, Noah can make spaghetti pretty well and Jake can heat up anything in the fridge. Friday night is fend for yourself night....keep that in mind for the future.

Tell 'em you love them everyday......they still need to hear it at 17, 13 and 11.
Hugs to you,
Kate

Stephanie said...

Very true! There are so many hard moments and you wonder why you're doing it all but then there are the sweet moments that help you forget the others. Rory has been getting up before 6am every morning and I'm to the point that I just can't do it but by 7am she's being her sweet self and helps me get through the rest of the day.

I watch the second show you mention and LOVE it! It's part of the reason I wanted to move by family. : ) So we could have those moments too!

I miss you guys so much!!!!!! When are you coming out West again?

Heather said...

Wonderful post. You say it so well.