This pregnancy has always felt a little off so I am not surprised at all at how it ended. I was positive that I was going to go into labor really early and that this baby was going to be huge. Neither of those happened. On Friday the 27th I went to an appointment. I was 38 weeks and 6 days. My blood pressure was 144 over 83. Not a good sign. Over the pregnancy my blood pressure has gradually gone up but nobody seemed concerned before. They re-took my blood pressure and it just got higher and higher that morning. I was sent to go give blood then to head up to Labor and delivery. After waiting literally 3 hours I was taken back to a room. The nurse gave me a gown and told me to change. I had to ask why? "You are getting admitted". Um ok. The doctor then comes in to tell me that I had all the signs for preeclampsia but he couldn't induce me until I was 39 weeks.Lame. So basically I had to wait til Mid-night before he could actually induce me since I was 1 day shy of 39 weeks.....unless I showed signs of extreme preeclampsia, at that moment the automatic blood pressure thing went off. 179 over 99. I was going to be induced. I don't know how many of you know about preeclampsia but it is not a good thing and they take it pretty serious. I got hooked up to magnesium right away. While you are on magnesium you can't have food or drink and you have to stay on magnesium for 24 hours after you deliver (without food or drink). Plus you can't get up. So I had 2 IV's, a urine catheter, calf squeezer things, blood pressure thing, oxygen finger thing and later oxygen mask. To top it off I had the anesthesiology guys bugging me to get an epidural because most preeclampsia patients end up having a C-section. ( I like to go natural, crazy but it's what works for me). So they start the pitocin and 3 hours later I had only dilated 2 cm.( I came in as a 4ish). I wanted to cry, this was not how my body worked. My labors are short, that is what I count on. Luckily, I went from 6 to 10 in about 30 minutes and delivered NATURALLY without any problems. There were so many people in my room. worried about me and about baby.
So the worst is over and now I just have to wait 24 hours til I can eat. My blood pressure started going down, I was feeling better, the baby was eating well, they gave me some medicine to help blood pressure continue to go down. So they decided to move me to recovery. I sat up to get ready to move (I was so excited to get up and move off that bed). Then I passed out. I don't really remember all the details but within seconds my room was filled with people. I was in and out of it for a bit, they kept asking me my name, I had no idea who was touching me or what was going on. However, I did feel something on my foot and knew it was Garett taking my pulse but that is all I really remember. My blood pressure had dropped from 160s to 80s and was having a hard time coming back up. If I was aware during the whole thing, I would have been scared. When I finally came back to my senses, it was like 2 in the morning. So now I had all these IV's and stuff, I still can't get out of bed but now they won't let me sit up either. Don't worry at this point everything started getting better. I finally got moved to recovery the next morning. At exactly 6:34pm I ate and it was so good and shortly after that I went to the bathroom all by myself (well Garett was with me). Since I couldn't get out of bed to change a diaper I never saw the tar poop. Overall, it was the worst delivery ever.
Vaughn was supposed to be my biggest baby but Garett is pretty sure the preclampsia probably prevented his growth in the last month of pregnancy.
The bright side of all this....Garett was AWESOME. With the other kids he was less than great as a coach. He stepped up his game this time and he really was the best. he totally helped me to go naturally, he kept me calm and snuck me drinks when I wasn't supposed to have anything. Garett I love you and I am so glad that you finally agree that we are DONE!!!! (as long as it is Heavenly Father's will). Thank you for all you do for me and our family.
7 comments:
great story!! sorry it was so scary. Hope everything is going well now.
Wowzers! Way to go on still going naturally, I would have totally caved if I were you. Oh wait, I already do epidurals. I'm glad you are doing better now and that Vaughn is a champ. Smaller babies are better to get out anyway;)
You're such a sap...GO GET A ROOM!!! ;) And how romantic you are taking trips to the jon together. Wow.
But seriously, I would be curious to hear HIS version of the HONEST story. I bet he was scared to death. That's crazy and insane and actually super scary. Well, way to go out w/ a bang. If it's a sign of what kind of child/teen he'll be it could be REALLY bad or you may just black out and miss the worst parts.
And I thought my birth story this time around was traumatic!! Sheesh! Glad you have your sweet red headed man at home with you and all is well or at least better (is he still a red head? Where did he get red hair?)
Wow, sounds pretty scary. Glad to hear you're doing better!
Just now catching up, glad to read that everything turned out okay! Hope things are much better now. You tell that Spencer I need a picture of him with his beautiful smile and his new brother. Love to you all!!
Crazy story! I'm glad that everything worked out well in the end. That must have been so scary for Garrett and not so fun for you either. I would like more baby pics, please. :) I can't believe that were able to keep your cool and go natural with everything going on and being all pitocin-ed up. Good job, mama!
Post a Comment