Monday, July 27, 2009

Sleeping with boys

I strongly believe that sleep is important. Since the day Preston was born I have used a night routine and for the most part we stick to it. I also believe that I only sleep with my husband and nobody else. So the boys are put in bed and are supposed to fall asleep on their own, no rocking or cuddling until they fall asleep. Also if they wake up in middle of night, we return them to their bed, no sleeping with ma and pa.
However, it has been a long summer for the boys. Since the end of May they have slept in 8 different beds and have only spent 17 days at home in their own beds. I am tired of traveling and they are tired of traveling. So I have completely caved in on all sleeping no nos. But I have learned a lot about my boys.
Since I lay with them until they fall asleep I have learned that Preston takes the longest to fall asleep. We have always thought it was Spencer because he is so loud. Wrong, Spencer screams(or talks to himself) until a few seconds before he crashes where as Presto lays there quietly until he slowly falls asleep. I have also learned that Spencer talks in his sleep way more then we thought.
But the most amazing thing that I have learned is that I LOVE sleeping with my boys. They hold your hand or lay their little heads right next to yours. It reminds me of when they were babies and how much I loved to hold them when they were sleeping.
None the less, when we return home things will go back to normal, no matter how much screaming I have to listen to.

2 comments:

Melissa S. said...

Sweet. But my boys move a TON (I know this from sleeping in hotel beds with them), literally plaster their bodies to mine, and then eventually kick me out. :)
I BET they are sick of not sleeping in their own beds. Poor things.

Stephanie said...

I'm the same way with sleeping, a sleep nazi. But when we were in Utah I slept with Dax. He moved all over the bed, snored and totally talked (occassionally cried) in his sleep. I never even knew it. Now I'm back to glorious ignorance.