Friday, August 20, 2010

Where in the world!

This is Garett, I thought I would quickly hijack the blog to post some pictures from where we are at right now in Voronezh, Russia. I have the most wonderful wife who encouraged me to visit my most favorite place in the world (Russia), where I served my mission from 2000 to 2002. I couldn't convince her to bring Mallory and leave the boys in AZ this time, so next time she will be my travel partner. Fortunately I have an excellent brother who is always up for an adventure, and this is his first time going out of the country, so what better place than Russia?


This is at Victory Park in Moscow inside the WWII museum there. This is the "Hall of Heros." The USSR recognized some 70000+ individual Soldiers here in this room as "Heroes," and I think they actually were alive when they were recognized. How is that for something, no a days in American they wont even consider a living Soldier for the nation's highest wartime medal.

You can just tour the metro stations in Moscow and see some of the most beautiful art. This is the metro station at Victory park.
We took a boat tour of Moscow on the Moscow River. This is the "Temple of Christ the Savior" it is just down the river from the Kremlin, Red Square, and St. Basil's Cathedral. Down the river further you can see Gorky Park, Moscow State University, and many other wonderful sights. In case you were wondering, there was only a little smokу on the first day we arrived. Then it rained a little and things were crystal clear (at least as clear as a city of like 10million+ can be). The weather was absolutely perfect, 70 degree with a mild breeze and partly cloudy.
Our first dinner at the Dacha outside of Moscow. I am determined to pack in as much Russian Culture for my brother Jeff as I can in the short time that we are here in Russia. This is a traditional Russian salad (cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and a little salt and oil), Pelmainy (which are like wonderful meat filled dumplings, which you top with sour cream or ketchup), some fresh bread from the corner. Excellent!
Jeff and I on Red Square right after we got to Moscow.

3 comments:

Melissa S. said...

That food actually looks AWESOME! What a cool brother!

Sheila Sievert said...

Jeff, Glad you have such a cool bro to spend time with. Come home soon to hot AZ. Costas' mom Sheila

Sturgeon Family said...

Garett, hey shorty, your little brother isn't so very little