Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fighting started it, Fighting ends it!

Salta got into a fight with a Husky. Actually, Salta started a fight with a Husky! Last Wednesday the boys were in the front riding their bikes, Garett was cleaning the garage and Salta was supposedly upstairs sleeping. Garett came in for a second to tell me something, then Spencer starts screaming outside. We go outside to see what is up and he is yelling and pointing in the road, "That dog is eating Salta" Garett runs out there I see him bend down, I see him stand up, I see him chatting with the owner of the other dog, I think everything is fine. Then he comes walking up and Salta is just a noodle in his arms. He goes to hand her to me and discovers that his hand is soaked in blood. Off I go to the Vet, by this time Salta's eyes are rolling in her head and I am pretty sure she isn't going to make it to the Vet. Vet takes her, listens to her and thinks that she is fine just a wound to sew up, so they start to shave her belly. Then they discover another wound and another. Then they find the lungs have been punctured. They take her back to surgery.
Then this is the worst part, the tech comes out and asks me how much I am willing to spend on her. WHAT?!? I have always thought I wasn't the type of person who would spend insane amounts of money on their dog. I've put a dog down before, I know it is not the end of the world. But I was wrong, I am that type of person. After crying to Garett and generally FREAKING out, I told him that I have to give her a chance.
After the Vet fixed all of her wounds she tells me that Salta needs to go to the Doggie Hospital to possible get another surgery. For some crazy unknown reason I am sent to Thomasville Vet Hospital, which is about 30min away. Salta's body cavity was filling up with air, and her lung with blood, and she wasn't able to breath, we literally got there just in time. Worst drive of my life. They took X-Rays and put her in a oxygen box. Basically the same type of bed/box that they use for premature babies (although kind of crudely homemade, as could only be found in rural NC). Luckily she didn't need anymore surgery, but she was in really bad shape and they were not sure if she would make it through the night. At this point I start to question my "spend as much money as it takes" reasons. Why didn't the vet just call it hopeless. Anyways, she has a cracked sternum, few cracked ribs, two punctured lungs and lots of bruises. (Preston saw the X-rays and picked out the broken ribs and sternum before the Vet even said anything-Future Radiologist) She did make it through the night and continues to get better at an amazing rate. The Vets are shocked, she is already walking and eating on her own. And the best news ever is that she should be coming home on Monday. Of course their are still a lot of concerns, like blood clots and infections but there is not a lot we can do about that.

When we lived in Sierra Vista I coached Basketball at the High School there and I used to take Salta to Saturday morning practice when Garett was deployed. I used to make the girls says all these saying to motivate them and one of them was....
"It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight but the Size of the Fight in the Dog"
Thank you to everybody who left comments on my facebook page and everybody who prayed for her. She really is my baby and I am glad that I still have some more time to make more memories with her!
PS
I really can't believe that I am one of "THOSE" people!!!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, Rachel! This is when I wish I actually used facebook more regularly. I'm sorry we didn't know and I'm so glad you became one of "those people" and were able to save her. I would have been heartbroken for you had she not made it. You are certainly in our thoughts and prayers.

The Webbers said...

I'm so glad Salta is doing better. I can't believe all the injuries she has...she's one sassy girl! Our prayer are with you guys.
p.s Welcome to the club of "those people"

ericksonzone said...

I'm glad that little salta is doing ok. What a heart wrenching experience to have to go through. It would be hard to be faced with that kind of decision.

Melissa S. said...

I could've TOLD you that you were one of THOSE PEOPLE!!!! Salta is and will always be your baby!!!
I am sooooo sorry. I know how much you love that little thing. I hope she comes home. I know you're not out of the rough times with her healing yet, but I'm glad to read she's making it this far okay. Poor little thing.

Robyn said...

Wow what a strong little dog! I'm glad she's doing better!!!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad she's pulling through. That must have been one of the longest days of your life!